When prospective buyers view a house, they can immediately be turned off by clutter. It’s hard for people to appreciate a house’s features if they are distracted by items piled around or on top of them. Things that you use regularly or that have accumulated over time can cause buyers to think that your house is dirty and unattractive or lacks sufficient storage space.
Decluttering your home can also make it easier to keep the home clean so you will be prepared for showings, which may be scheduled on short notice. If you've got a lot of stuff to move out, consider a storage unit to help your store what's still important.
1. When buyers walk into your home, they will immediately notice whether the entryway is spacious or cluttered. That can affect their impression of the rest of the house. Keep furniture and artwork to a minimum in that area and get rid of shoes, mail, keys, and any other unnecessary items.
2. Keep as much kitchen counter space clear as possible so buyers can appreciate the amount of workspace available. Go through cabinets, drawers, and shelves to remove anything you don’t need and organize the rest.
3. In the living room and dining room, limit furniture and decorations. You want people to have the impression that the rooms are spacious and would be ideal for entertaining, so the more free space, the better.
4. Bedrooms should be clean and beds should be neatly made. Clothes should be organized in a closet on hangers or shelves. Remove unnecessary items so the closets appear roomier. Nightstands should only have a lamp and/or a book. If you have kids, make sure their toys are neatly arranged on shelves or placed in a toy box.
5. Remove any prescriptions from the bathrooms and organize hygiene items. Arrange towels neatly and keep extra toiletries in a closet or cabinet.
6. The attic and basement tend to accumulate a lot of miscellaneous possessions. Take some time to throw away, donate, or store things you don’t need and arrange the rest in clearly labeled containers to give prospective buyers the sense that those areas would be large enough for all their belongings.
If you find that you need to remove some possessions from your home to prepare it for showings, but you don’t want to part with them forever, renting a is a simple and terrific solution. West Bridgewater Self Storage in Massachusetts offers units in a variety of sizes where you can have access to your belongings 24 hours a day. We also offer a rent and pay online option to make the process smooth and easy. today to learn more!